Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Need some film maker wisdom...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ThomasB's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2000
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can just speak for myself. The music that can be heard in 'The Last Trade' was composed by a old school friend of mine (BTW: the music is downloadable from our homepage).

    We did an interesting experiment regarding the music. The composer started working on the titles without having seen any footage. I sent him a script and said: "we'd like having music for scene 3 - 5, 12 - 16, ..." and so on.
    He then started to compose some tracks and sent them to me and it fitted right from the start.

    When we then had a first rough cut of the movie I invited him to have a look at the pictures. He was then able to fit the sounds to the pictures.

    After finishing the process of editing, he visited me again and we had a closer look at the time code of the scenes where we wanted to add the music.
    About two weeks later he finished his work and we added the songs to the edited movie.

    Last thing I'd like to say is that I'd rather like to work with a composer again than just downloading free stuff from the net.

    ------------------
    ThomasB http://www.biennavista.com

    [This message has been edited by ThomasB (edited January 11, 2002).]

  2. #2
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    sounds like a good plan. Good luck.
    You need to find some interested people in the states.
    The folk who do the music for my pictures are people I know, or have bumped into. Its worked pretty well.
    Putting on sound tracks with a composer is a million times better than downloading something, or trying to write it yourself.
    the whole thing is about collaboration.

    Good luck

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Hutch DeLoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2002
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just curious... Do any of you film makers have friends who do film scores or theme songs for your films? How do you go about looking for music on your low/no budgets if you even use any? The reason I ask is because I am coming from the other side. I'm not a film maker, but I am a composer with a nice digital studio and a bit of scoring experience. (By the way, I have a regular job that provides well for me and my family, so film scoring is purely a labor of love.) As such, I'm interested in linking up with active film makers who want to collaborate. I'm wondering though... Do you film makers feel it's worth your while to seek out original music and work with composers, or if it's just too easy to download some free public domain music??? My theory is that Ron Howard probably won't be calling me anytime soon (as long as John Willimas is still around anyway :+), so I should just link up with folks with limited experience like me and grow together into our successes. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions on "networking" would be appreciated...

    Regards,

    Hutch

  4. #4
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    its a bitch that you live in the states! because i would love to get together with a composer and do some work - i feel that if you work in collaboration with a composer while you are creating a production you get a better mix of music and video in the final product... as most of my work is experimental with video and is more music video based, i feel its just a natural progression to move on from just downloading music, to working with composers... i really wish you all the best as you seem like you really want to succede - by the way do you have a demo tape/CD or a website where I could hear some of your stuff? get back to me if you have any ideas!

    ------------------
    My preciousssssss!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's funny i'm reading this post, i'm just going through my dads classical music collection to find some music for our movie Static Fear.

    Because this production isn't going to be anything mainstream or even lowstream, i've already found some music on the internet i want to use.

    smile
    Mods

    ------------------
    Mark "Mods" Lovegrove

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Hutch DeLoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2002
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steven,

    Click on the profile button on my post. It has my website listed along with my e-mail. I have several demo's on the website that you can review, although I agree that transoceanic collaboration might be somewhat prohibitive.

    None the less, I always appreciate feedback on my work. If you get a chance to listen to it, you will notice that it is pretty much orchestral in nature.

    By the way, I wish we had a good board like exposure here in the states. You guys run a class act over there!

    Regards,

    Hutch

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •